As of 23 August 2021, all Electrical and Electronic Equipment (“EEE”) waste are effectively banned from landfill sites across South Africa under the National Norms and Standards for Disposal of Waste to Landfill (GNR.636 of 23 August 2013), which falls under the umbrella of the National Environmental Management Waste Act 59 (2008).
According to the e-Waste Association of South Africa, South Africa generates about 6.2 kilograms of e-waste per inhabitant annually and only 12% of that is recycled. With the rapid increase in electronic inventions and digital equipment, e-waste is set to grow 3x faster than other waste streams.
What is E-waste?
Some streams of e-waste include:
- ICT equipment
- Consumer electronics
- Small household appliances
- Large household appliances
Why is there ban on E-Waste at landfill sites?
The ban forces both public and private entities to recycle e-waste as it contains both valuable components that can be recovered through proper recycling and hazardous elements that must be disposed of in a safe and complaint manner.
What are some of the health impacts of E-waste disposal?
- E-waste is made up of “several hundred” different hazardous substances such as lead, mercury, arsenic, cadmium, and flame retardants that release toxic dioxin emissions when burned.
- This results in numerous human health issues including breathing difficulties, respiratory issues and even death.
- The improper handling and disposal of e-waste can have significant, irreversible effects on the environment, such as the pollution and degradation of air and water quality, soil contamination, and the harming of human and animal life.
- Persistent Organic Pollutants (POP) bio-magnify throughout the food chain and bio-accumulate in organisms. The highest concentrations of POPs are thus found in organisms at the top of the food chain. Consequently, background levels of POPs can be found in the human body.
The Don’t Waste Solution Suite for E-Waste
Don’t Waste has put together a host of accredited and compliant solutions for the diversion of e-waste from landfill sites. Further to this, our advanced systems, software and reporting frameworks work together so that you are able to:
- Track the e-waste collected from your site to its final destination, ensuring that you know where your waste ends up.
- Have access to all required supporting documentation for record and reporting purposes.
- Monitor the volumes of e-waste diverted
- Track and report on the environmental savings achieved from diverting the e-waste collected from your site.
For a quote or more information on our E-waste solutions, contact your CRM or send us a message at firstname.lastname@example.org
Don’t Waste provides industry leading business intelligence, site management, and waste management services to Property, Retail, Commercial, Industrial and Hospitality industries. Our customers include the world’s leading property management groups. To find out more about our innovative value-added systems and services in onsite waste operations, contact:
Linus Naik- Group Manager: Sustainability & Business Development (Email: email@example.com I Mobile: +27 82 552 0675).
Michael Foreman- UK Managing Director and International Business Development (Email: firstname.lastname@example.org I Mobile: +44 7939 027193).